Have you arrived at a place in life in which you find yourself tired of fighting with resentments? How important—and for how long—is it necessary to hang onto the anger that’s accumulated inside of ourselves?

Rage is a powerful beast, and can be a powerful ally. But are we using it correctly? Are we “releasing the Kraken” in a bid to wreck havoc, or restore order? And restore order for whom, exactly?

I was raised in a tumultuous environment. The unstable circumstances that were brought to the table were emotionally draining. We never knew when a situation would occur that would unleash a chain of events that could quickly spiral out of control.

The bulk of my childhood was spent in psychological withdrawal because the possibility for destruction was too real, and too large for me to manage. So I curled up inside of myself and built a colorful fantasy world in which I could create endless stories that left me in complete control of my own destiny.

Fast forward many years and a multitude of dysfunctional relationships later. Slowly I began to realize that the arid inner landscape of unfulfilled dreams and shortsighted goals was draining me more than the reality of my wounded psyche.

Once I began to heal in earnest I recognized that though I was indeed the master of my own fate, unresolved anger lay in wait. My inner child, long victimized, was healing. The newly minted adult looked for healthy solutions rather than self-destructive ones.



And yet…the anger didn’t dissipate.

I’m now beginning to realize it won’t. But it can transform. It’s not easy, it isn’t fun and it’s a load of work. But the idea that I can convert old, stagnant emotions that no longer serve my best interests is, for the first time in my life, liberating. The anger I once nurtured for self-preservation and future revenge scenarios is finally being redirected into a beautiful concept called Gardenspot.

Much of my anger came from not having a community I could rely on when I was too little to properly nurture myself. Once I realized the shame I was holding onto (and the subsequent rage it produced) was not a product of my own wishes, I was free to rewrite the script. My old community may not have been there for me, but I can create a community that will be.

And the best part is that Gardenspot is not being built for me, it is being built for us. It is being created so that we can be part of a truly wonderful depiction based in a reality that stems from healing, not from desperate wishes created by a broken child.

Gardenspot intends to be that place that allows you a seat at the table without wondering if you need to stay on guard, ready to bolt if things become overwhelming. We are people that felt resentments that wanted to hang on for far too long, for no rational purpose.  Once you find your footing at Gardenspot, you will be invited to stay on to help others feel the effects of a village that doesn’t only explore the concept of community, but lives it to the fullest.

This piece started out talking about anger, and ends with the concept of sharing. See what happens when we allow others in on our emotional journey? We can’t help but transform into something beautiful.


Comments

Popular Posts